Rates for water service for Connecticut Water customers are approved by the Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA). Current rates were authorized by Docket 09-12-11 effective July 14, 2010. On April 1, 2014, the WICA charge in effect at January 1, 2014 was rolled into base rates while a two-year rate reduction was implemented as a result of a federal income tax refund filed for by Connecticut Water. In addition, the Water Revenue Adjustment was implemented. All of these changes were approved by PURA through a Settlement Agreement between Connecticut Water, the Office Consumer Counsel and the Attorney General's Office. More information on how these changes affected customer bills was provided to customers through a special bill insert.
A reliable supply of high quality water is essential to our quality of life. It provides for public health, hygiene, proper sanitation, protection of lives and property through fire protection, and allows for economic development that leads to job creation and tax revenues. At a cost of less than a penny per gallon, Connecticut Water delivers all of the benefits of high quality water to its customers 24 hours per day. If one were to put a value of having clean, safe water – it would certainly be higher than a penny per gallon!
It costs a typical Connecticut Water customer about $1.67 per day for all their water needs based on current rates. This is based on an average customer usage of 15,000 gallons per quarter, which costs about $150. Your cost for water service will depend on how much water you actually use and which water system provides your water. As Connecticut water has acquired smaller water systems, each system had it own set of rates some higher and some lower than Connecticut Water. For a rate schedule that applies to your system please see our Rate Schedules or call a customer service representative at 1-800-286-5700.
We strive to provide excellent service and cost-effective, consumer friendly options for our customers, and we now offer more convenient ways for customers to pay their water bill. Connecticut Water offers full featured E-Billing with options to view account history, schedule automatic payments of water bills and receive and e-mail when a water bill has been issued. Customers can pay their bill at many retail locations, including Stop & Shop, Price Chopper, Shop Rite, Big Y, Kmart, Walmart and Rite Aid - in addition to paying online, by mail and by phone.
Customers have several convenient options for paying their Connecticut Water bill. Payments may be made by using any one of the following options:
- Pay your bill online with a debit or credit card (MasterCard or Visa). You can also sign up for E-Billing, set-up automatic payments of your water bill and view account information.
- Pay your bill online through your checking account. You’ll need to create a member ID and password. You'll also need to provide your checking account information and account number the first time you log in. Be sure also to have your water bill handy because you will need your Company Number and amount due
- Pay by mail with a personal check in the envelope provided with your bill. Please remember to write your account number on the check and include your bill payment stub to ensure your payment is applied to the correct account.
- A check issued from your bank to our lockbox processor. These payments can take up to four days to process. For quicker payment, you may want to pay directly from our Web site. By paying online, the amount due will be withdrawn from your checking account and credited to your water account within two business days.
- Pay by cash, in person at many convenient retail locations. See links below to locate nearest retail location. Please note that there is a service fee collected by the retailer for this service so be sure to ask the amount of the fee before paying your bill.
Retail Payment Locations
Store finder for Big Y, Price Chopper, Shop Rite, Stop & Shop, Rite Aid and other retailers participating in Western Union's 'Bill Pay' program. Make sure you check the 'Bill Pay' box before searching for the nearest location. Only cash is accepted at these locations and customers will need their Connecticut Water statement the first time customers pay at one of these locations.
for Kmart and Walmart and other retailers participating in CheckFreePay. Customers will need cash or a PIN based debit card and your Connecticut Water bill statement. Credit cards are not accepted. Customers can use their credit card to make a payment by calling our customer service center during normal business hours at 1-800-286-5700.