About Your Bill
Your Connecticut Water bill
Your bill for water service is based on three charges:
- Basic Service charge – a daily rate which covers the cost associated with basic operation, billing and customer service. The size of your water meter determines the amount of the Basic Service charge. Residential customers usually have the smallest meter, 5/8 inch, while larger water users can have meters ¾ inch or larger.
- Water Usage – the number of gallons used, rounded to the last full thousand used, which is multiplied by Connecticut Water’s approved rates.
- WICA – WICA stands for the Water Infrastructure and Conservation Adjustment and is a surcharge authorized by the DPUC. The WICA recovers investments made in DPUC authorized pipe line replacement and conservation projects. Visit our WICA page for more information.
Your bill may also include a charge for one of Connecticut Water’s optional Linebacker® Protection Programs. Linebacker protection is available to residential customers to repair or replace the service line coming in their home, the sewer or septic line leaving the home, and indoor household plumbing. The Linebacker charge on your bill will vary depending on what plan you subscribe to.
How interest is assessed on late payments
Effective February 24, 2012, Connecticut Water is assessing interest on late payments as follows:
- Interest of 1.5% will be assessed on any unpaid balance 30 days and will be reflected on the “Reminder Notice.”
- An additional 1.5% interest (a total 3%) will be assessed on any unpaid balance that remains unpaid after 60 days and will be reflected on the “Shut Off” notice.
- If after 90 days there is an unpaid balance, an additional 1.5% interest (a total of 4.5%) will be reflected on the next billing statement.
Payments not posted to the account prior to generation of the notice will incur the charge so every effort should be made to make sure payments arrive and are posted prior to the time frames indicated.
Customers who pay their water bill when the “Reminder Notice” is received should be aware that after February 24, 2012 an interest charge of 1.5% will be included on that notice.
The interest charge and schedule for assessing interest on unpaid balances has been approved by the Public Utilities Regulatory Authority.
For an illustration and line-by-line explanation of a Connecticut Water bill, please see Understanding Your Bill.
Questions About Your Bill
If you have questions about your bill, please call a Customer Service representative at 1-800-286-5700. If you prefer send your questions with your payment, please use a separate piece of paper and include your name, address and account number. Notes written on the bill may delay the processing of your payment.
Users of Telecommunication Devices for the Deaf (TDD) may call 1-800-649-9118.
A rate schedule that explains the various charges that appear on your bill and copies of our Rules and Regulations are available at any of our offices or by calling 1-800-286-5700.
Direct written communications to:
Customer Service Manager
93 West Main Street
Clinton, CT 06413